Friday, February 1, 2008

The Jews Have It Right!

Ugh! I'm exhasuted today! I struggled to get out of bed.

And had an even harder time getting my attitude on the right track. (I know, I know, you're struggling to relate...just bear with me...)

If I don't get a good night's sleep, my attitude and actions in the morning usually reflect it. In fact, barring Supernatural interventon, I'm practically guaranteed to have a rocky start to my day...well, let's not stop there..a rocky WHOLE day. (Now I've completely lost you, haven't I?)

(Wow! Am I *really* that sarcastic? Oh dear, now maybe I have really lost you...come back!)

Where were we? Ummm...oh yes: tired, exhausted, having a bad [attitude] day.

Suggestions anyone? Starbucks? Red Bull?

How about starting my Friday on, say, Thursday night instead?

Perhaps considering a good night's sleep as the beginning of a productive, respectable day (instead of its end) would aid against the struggles.

Now, I don't fully credit the Jewish people with the idea that a day begins the night before. I mean, they are the Chosen People, not necessarily the Deserving People (don't get carried away, we Gentiles aren't either)--they didn't come up with the idea on their own. But they do adhere to it.

And why not?

There are certainly some great spiritual truths bound up in it, such as Darkness preceding the Light. Yet even non-theologians can appreciate the very practical aspect of building a good night's rest into one's day.

My dear bride and I, for a time, ensured that our Sunday mornings were not harried, hectic, altogether-unspiritual events by carefully considering our Saturday evening plans. Unfortunately, we've lost a bit of that resolve (I don't dare call it a habit--it was never "automatic"). Nonetheless, on those many exhausting morning-after occasions, I can't overlook the impact that last night has on today.

Profound? It's too obvious to warrant that word. And yet the sacrifices required to turn that idea into a lifestyle are hardly trivial. You figure that part out yourself...

Now, if you'll excuse me, tomorrow is a few short hours away, and I have to get ready for bed!

2 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

perhaps you should share your wisdom with your dear children who refuse to allow their dear mother to get a good night's sleep...
i'm just sayin'

Melissa said...

Maybe I DID poison you guys! Are you ever going to want to spend an evening with us again??!! :)