Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What does He sound like?

An unexpected question left me wrestling with that question.

Last night while I was tucking daughter #2 into bed, she asked me how she would know if God was talking to her. She had prayed many times about many things, but had never heard Him answer. And she wasn't really sure she would know if He was "telling" her something.

So many have that same question, Christian and non-Christian alike. Just Google "does god talk" to see a plethora of attempts to analyze God's communication with man. While many writings take a heavily theological stance, the best one I found quotes some 7-12 year olds: How Does God Talk To You?

Although those deep, scholastic, logical presentations can be intellectually satisfying, they hardly address the angst I have known in those times when I've longed deeply to hear from Him. The problem is that that longing isn't intellectual; it's spiritual. My spirit needs to be able to communicate, since "God is spirit."

I've never heard Him myself, at least, not with my ears. But I've known Him to respond to my prayers, and to direct certain situations in my life.

And having an opportunity to convey that to my dear 9-year-old, who genuinely wanted to know, was a privilege I won't take for granted. In fact, I'm pretty sure God was speaking to me in that situation!

Thank you gracious Lord!

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

I love when you blog. :)